A Friend's Heart - Layering with Patterned Paper

Happy almost-Friday! I hope you've all had a wonderful week.

This week, I had the opportunity to catch up with a dear old friend, whom I haven't seen for some time. It's delightful that our visits always feel like no time has passed at all. I think it's one of life's greatest blessings, knowing that despite the distance or time passed, we are never far from a friend's heart. 

To start this card, I used a dotted, soft pink paper, layered on some white cardstock, with a wee bit of floral paper at the bottom.
Just atop that, I added this darling journalling card, cut from a beautiful older paper, which I just cannot seem to find online (if anyone knows the name, please feel free to add a link in the comments).


I wanted to keep this card sweet and simple, so I used only minimal embellishments, and decided to decorate with patterned paper.  My favorite way to play with patterns is to mix and match what I call the 'focal weight' of papers, while keeping things in the same color family. I prefer to use a delicately patterned paper, such as the soft polka dots, along with slightly more intricate or bold pattern, such as the florals or plaid on this card. I like to throw in a good measure of white as well, to create a harmonious balance, and I generally keep the bolder papers to a minimum.
If you find that you get stuck when mixing and matching patterns, I hope you'll give this 'recipe' a try!

   To finish the card, I added a few leaves, stamped and fussy cut, using Green Parakeet and New Leaf inks from PTI.
I added a small die-cut heart as well as a sparkly epoxy heart to finish the top of the card. 
The little scalloped border is a bitty edge cut off of PTI's Tag Sale: Quilted Tag die


At the bottom, a few little buttons finish off  this happy card.

Thanks for joining me today and happy weekend!

Ivana

8 comments

  1. This is a dreamy little card Ivana! I like the row of fresh grassy green buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do the best job when putting together all of the elements for a card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit jealous of your friend spending time with you my dear but I'm so glad that you could bond! She is so lucky to have you and be able to visit anytime. The card is amazing and so perfect for the occasion! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my dear friend, how I wish you could be near. It would be amazing to have the chance to visit and craft together anytime we want! Missing you and thank you so much for always popping in and for all the love you sprinkle here :)

      Delete
  4. So very pretty! Love the hand stitched buttons!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment. I appreciate it so much!